Updated on May 11, 2020
What Fashion Trend Did ‘Miami Vice’ Make Popular?
“Miami Vice” (1984 – 1989) was a popular TV series that was produced in the 1980s. The impact of the series spans from music to pop culture to fashion. Most notable in its impact is that on the fashion trends from the 1980s to date. In this article, we will answer the question, “what fashion trend did “Miami Vice” make popular?”
The show “Miami Vice” is a crime series set in Miami, Florida. The show was shot on location in Miami to give it the originality vibe. It is regarded as by far the most iconic media production ever made in Miami.
The stars of the show are Don Johnson, who brought the character Det. Sonny Crockett to life, and the exceptional Philip Michael Thomas who acted the character, Ricardo Tubbs. The series was on for five seasons, and the above-stated characters were detectives who were undercover in Miami, so their fashion sense was highly commended. The show made certain fashion trends popular, amongst which are the following.
What Fashion Trend Did “Miami Vice” Make Popular: 5 Clothing Items & Accessories
1. No Socks Look: As noticeable from the series, Don one of the main characters almost never wore socks, even though he wore blazers and formal shoes. This became a fashion trend, and to this day people copy this trend, this has also made the popularity of no show socks soar. It is now considered trendy and fashionable to have no socks showing when dressed in blazers.
2. Pastel Colors: There’s no way you’ll watch “Miami Vice” or be a fan of the show without appreciating the colors of the star’s wardrobe. This became a huge fashion trend in the ’80s and even until now, the pastel color trend is considered absolutely necessary in the “Miami Vice” fashion trend. There is no room for dark colors in this fashion trend, therefore, you should get jackets within the pastel color range with trousers that match the trend. Also in line with the trend is getting V-neck t-shirts that go with the jacket and trousers. The t-shirts are tucked in the trouser just like Don does in “Miami Vice.”
3. Blazer like that of Ricardo Tubbs: The blazer look was rocked by Ricardo Tubbs in the series, this look took hold and became a fashion trend. The blazer is usually double-breasted and sleek. The blazer is worn with matching trousers. Within the trend is rolling up the sleeves of the blazer and wearing a t-shirt with it. To this day this look is considered fashionable and it originated from “Miami Vice.”
4. Shoulder Pads: “Miami Vice” popularized the use of shoulder pads in blazers, jackets, and even t-shirts. There is no way you can think of “Miami Vice” without the thought of shoulder pads popping into your mind as a fashion trend.
5. Wayfarer Shades: One cannot write about the “Miami Vice” fashion trend without wayfarers. Presently wearing wayfarer shades is considered extremely fashionable, part of its popularity is owed to “Miami Vice.” You can barely go through an episode of the series without seeing one of the characters fashionably wearing one. It is arguably the constant element in the “Miami Vice” fashion trend.
Which 1980’s-inspired “Miami Vice” fashion trend will you wear?